Some of these programs are free for personal use. Some may be used in any (legal) setting.
View - Image Viewer FREE good tool to view, resize,
crop images. Handles almost any format and can open (almost) any
format then save to (almost) any format.
- GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It works on many operating systems, in many languages. (I have not used it, but it looks like a powerful program.)
- Belarc Advisor
- Will give you a detailed profile of your computer, motherboard, RAM,
hard drives, optical drives, programs installed and location of the
- AVG Anti-Virus Free
Edition - Anti Virus Software - Free for Private HOME use.
Will auto update. NOT SPYWARE ETC.
Zone Alarm Firewall: free version - Run free checker before installing.
Search and Destroy - Top quality program to remove most spyware,
malware, but NOT VIRUS.
Cleaner - Use with caution to clean Temp files, cookies, and temp
- Trend Micro HouseCall is an application for checking whether your computer has been infected by viruses, spyware or other malware ( grayware ). HouseCall performs additional security checks to provide reliable prevention and allows the removal of detected infections. (Free Check)
- OpenOffice Free Office Suite Will read and write to MicroSoft Office format files. Does not have all the features of MicroSoft Office, but most of what most people use. More powerful than MicroSoft Works.
- ReadPlease 2003 Software that lets your computer talk...
This program can be used to create short passages which the computer can read to students, or Oral Instructions that can be played to a class or by a student as needed. The Free Version is limited to 16K text file. It has a free version as well as versions for purchase.(Sound features are required on the computer (sound chip/card, and speakers/headphones).
- Moodle is a course management system (CMS) - a free, Open Source software package designed using sound pedagogical principles, to help educators create effective online learning communities. You can download and use it on any computer you have handy (including webhosts), yet it can scale from a single-teacher site to a University with 200,000 students. Check out the Moodle Demonstration Courses or read the latest Moodle Buzz. (description taken from Moodle site) -- I have not given this a great deal of review. I have seen school district pages that used this product.